How Owning a Caribbean Vacation Home Costs More Than Money.

Unfortunate cloudy day...but, the extra suite now has a door to pool deck!
The Master At Work...Peek A Boo!
It's 3 AM. The WhatsApp notification chime has pinged twice and awakened me out of a much needed restful night sleep. My heart is pounding. WhatsApp generally means the neighbors at the casa are contacting me about something... tinaco isn't filling, no outside lights are coming on...or the worst...the bars have been pried open and the house is standing open!?!!! Holy S@$#!!! (That actually happened... I'll elaborate in a future post about safety in a up and coming non-touristy town) But, wait...no, it's a message Judy sent earlier that day during a internet outage that has just now come through to inform us that our normal cleaning lady couldn't make it so she had gotten her lady for the house before our first ever renter arrived!  PHEW!  Cut to today, my darling husband is on one of his lone trips down to the DR and doesn't understand the 1 hour time difference. Thinking it's 7:20 AM and I'm happily on my way to work, he texts me 6 times AT 5:20 AM to let me know he's finally tracked down a pesky slow leak that keeps forcing the house pump to lose pressure that in turn forces us humans to toggle a switch on the circuit breaker box that sometimes has a metal frame with labels but more often does not... I can't count how many times I've turned the wrong thing off and on, resetting something I not supposed to. Whoops. I had immediate visions of worst-case-scenarios:  The pool has a leak and we need to spend $35,000 to rebuild it, the neighbors have built a giant wall blocking all views of the ocean, the cement roof that we thought was impenetrable cracked and caved in, or the absolute nightmare, he's been kidnapped and I have to pay a ransom. (That last one I've never heard of happening to anyone I've met there, but I read too many blogs both positive and negative about the Caribbean and Latin America...hmmm...)  Another 5 years taken off my life.


I am NOT a paranoid person and I thought I knew what it would be like to own a Caribbean vacation home.  We own rentals around here.  But, it is not the same.  The distance, a different culture and the understanding that most things are out of our control send me into near panic mode when someone from Cabrera contacts us.  For a while, if Richard or Judy called on the magic jack line, I really knew something was wrong...but, actually most of the time they are calling to ask us to bring stuff down to them, like seasoning packets, candy you can't get there, small stuff. So why does my blood pressure jump as soon as the whatsApp notification chimes or the caller ID on the magic jack line indicates the DR?  I don't know...but, it's costing me years off my normal life expectancy due to sheer panic for those few seconds before I read that Judy wants a couple fidget spinners for some students she tutors...WOOF!


Comments

  1. I really appreciate your work and very amazing and important information about the Magical vacation Homes which have share in this blog.
    Magical vacation Homes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...I hope to continue blogging about our future build too! Just letting people know, it's possible for average people too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Episode of HGTV's Caribbean Life!

Buying appliances and what kind of stores to expect in Dominican Republic.

Shopping in the Dominican Republic and Money Transfers